Friday, September 4, 2009

Patriot's Diary # 6: The Power of an Individual


I believe in the power of an individual.; I have always said this to my friends or in discussions, just that I feel I am yet to live up to this. History has shown us over and over again the power of an individual, we saw the evil in the likes of Hitler, Mao Tse Tung, Idi Amin and Stalin. But the power that I choose to focus on is not just religious with the works and influence of Jesus Christ, Prophet Muhammad and Buddha.


But look at the social greats, Albert Einstein, Mother Theresa, Michael Jackson, Waangari Maathai, Martin Luther King Jr. and so many more. Individuals who felt from the depth of their bellies the power and need to sacrifice themselves and their comforts for the overall benefit of the masses.

Now you must be wondering what I am getting at here. What’s the connection with patriotism and why I love my country? Well back to the definition that I gave of what Patriotism is to be the love and willingness to sacrifice ourselves for the good of the country. These world greats weren’t just patriots of their respective states, they were global patriots.

I live in a country that was born from the sacrifice of individuals, to lead us into independence. There has been turmoil, but we still have the likes of John Githongo the anti-corruption czar who revealed government embezzlement in the infamous Anglo leasing scandal, and Wangari Maathai, the Chair and Founder of the Green Belt movement and the 2004 winner of the Nobel Peace Prize. (Below centre: John Githongo)The person I want to focus on is Wangari Maathai, who fought to save the Karura forest, a key water catchment area. She fought to save Uhuru Park, a beautifully manicured recreational area in the heart of Nairobi’s central business district. I was walking through the park this past Saturday and all I saw was tranquility, joy, celebration and hope. It was re-assuring.


I haven’t been there in seven years. It was beautiful, there are swings now and slides and jungle gyms. Watching children playing, screaming and having fun and the freedom to run around freely, couples picnicking; it was magical. In a blood thirsty concrete capitalist jungle that we live in Uhuru Park is a haven.


Because of the conviction and sacrifice of one woman for the sake of others, Wangari Maathai faced verbal abuse, public embarrassment, belittling and torture with other individuals , had her braids ripped from her scalp and bled all for the sake of the environment.


I salute Wangari Maathai, and it is from her efforts that able to escape to a beautiful green corner in the city to relax and let loose after a long week. That’s what Kenya has offered me; the chance to learn and be a beneficiary of selflessness. When I choose to stand for what I believe is right, noble and true, it may be an uncomfortable journey, but will yield a beautiful reality for my fellow countrymen. I thank God for Wangari Maathai and I am grateful that she is a true Kenyan patriot who is an inspiration and an example I can emulate. God, I love this country!
(Right: Wangari Maathai receiving the Nobel Peace prize)

No comments:

Turkwell River, Kenya

Turkwell River, Kenya
The beauty is endless