Friday, October 2, 2009

Patriot's Diary # 9: The little things that count

With every waking day, life is full of uncertainty. I am grateful that there is order in Kenya. Hear me out first before you shoot me. I can wake up in the morning and go about my business without worrying about being clubbed to death at my door step, or hijacked on my way to work. My point is; I have freedom. I am not walking around in fear of an invasion or bomb attack. I am free, I am living and I am alive. That is something that I can celebrate each and every day.


It’s what I can call the small victories in life that we never stop to celebrate, true, not everything is a bed of Roses but by appreciating the fact that you can exist in the first place is worth popping a champagne bottle. It’s from celebrating being alive each day and being free to do so, that you open up to other things.


I had an interesting experience this morning on my way to work. I was in a matatu (minibus) and they wanted to avoid the cops for one reason or another. I refused to alight and requested that all the passengers get a reimbursement, the driver refused and started rambling on. I cut him short and told him in Kiswahili, Nikuheshimiana (Let’s respect one another here), he cut me short before I finished my statement responding, Mimi usiniheshimu (Do not respect me).

I was really shocked. In my lifetime I have never heard someone ardently demand for NO respect. Then he went on to defend his stand saying that he was a meager matatu (minibus) driver. I tapped his shoulder and told him that he is a human being and a driver doing his job and for that reason I respect him and that he should see it as something good. He then proceeded to drop us at the designated stage.


Just looking back at that situation, I realize the importance of being able to appreciate respect and the need to give it to others. I am grateful that I am in a country that actually does have people who appreciate the little wins and share it with others. It doesn’t have to be someone iconic, just the average person on the street who will holds a blind persons hand to help them cross the street, or the motorist who opts to give way when there is a clog up in a T-junction.


It’s the little Acts of Random Kindness (ARK) that is what keeps me going and I believe is what other Kenyans so desperately need. I am glad that there are Kenyans, who strive to make others happy, respect them and are willing to compromise for the comfort of others. What I love about performing acts of random kindness is that it’s not just the recipient who feels good about themselves, you also feel good about yourself. That is the country that I live in and I am proud to be part of; the ‘little’ people who make the little differences in this great land.

No comments:

Turkwell River, Kenya

Turkwell River, Kenya
The beauty is endless