Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Correcting Corrections: Vickie Cairo

I was fishing for a new story. I wasn’t looking for anything fancy. I just wanted to meet the average person who has chosen to use the little they have to make a difference. I know; it sounds simple doesn’t it? Just roll out of bed and help people because I can. But the truth is, it takes courage and heart to keep giving of yourself when there are no immediate returns.


I didn’t have to take a bus trip or have to go through personal assistants or security personnel. A friend introduced me to Vickie Kairo. (above right) When I met her we just hit it off. She is such a jovial person, with a warm heart, very open and on a mission. I would call her the face of correctional reforms in Kenya and beyond!

Vickie is currently a volunteer teacher at the Nairobi West Prison in Kenya’s capital. Nairobi West prison is a minimum security prison for men that opened its doors to the public in 2002. Vickie was introduced to the prison on New Year’s Eve of 2006. She had joined a local church on a charity visit; the usual nothing, extraordinary.



The first step…
But it was from that initial visit at the prison that got Vickie thinking, ‘there is something that I have…maybe I can offer my skills’. She approached the welfare department of corrections, which facilitates the prison education programme that took her on board. But it was all on a volunteer basis. (left: Prisoners during the Christmas Fun day on December 16th at the prison)


Vickie received support from her family who helped her raise the necessary monies to buy text books and stationery for the prisoners. She started off teaching the interested prisoners, who were drop outs, elementary Math, English, and Guitar lessons. The elementary levels vary. The prisoners are first evaluated by the Welfare officer and then taught according to their proficiency.

Three years on, Vickie has now partnered to form Nafisika Trust. Nafisika is a Swahili word that means to come out of poverty and bring into well being! Currently Vickie works with three other volunteers with an array of skills; early childhood education, literature, business management and Information Technology.

Humility and purpose
What I appreciated about Vickie is that it is clear she does respect the inmates. She has given them the power of choice rather than the rudimentary bark and execute approach that most prisoners are used to. The courses that Nafisika trust offers range from basic guitar and music lessons, basic computer skills, and elementary education. Vickie believes that it is from this approach to education in the prison system that people will, ‘look at them [ex-inmates] in society and say, “now this guy made something out of himself”. Vickie avidly adds, ‘I want to see these guys’ lives change’.

What Nafisika Trust offers is an opportunity for prisoners to explore their interests, rather than the usual imposed duties such as fixing license plates or carpentry. Nafisika has given them what they hope to get behind the confines of the walls, a second chance and dignity!

Campaigner
Vickie recently visited with a friend in Belgium, and also toured a prison in Holland to get a feel of a different correctional system. She also lobbied to get computers for her students who direly need the equipment. She was pretty persuasive because right now she is awaiting the arrival of the computers. (Right: Vickie & Kinda of Nafisika Trust)

There is so much that Vickie has in store for Nafisika trust and education in correctional facilities. But what convinced me that Vickie was in this for the long haul was when she said, ‘I just find my purpose in that.’ The passion that I saw in Vickie on a recent Christmas Fun day at the prison was just a fraction of the drive she has. She managed to get donations for the prison library. Vickie is encouraging the inmates to read and make the most of their time and their lives while in prison.

I finally asked Vickie if she’s ever felt afraid in prison, considering the caliber of the criminals and being a woman in a man’s prison. She simply responded with a smile that she felt safer in prison. I didn’t believe her till I visited the prison, it really is more like a community that wears the same clothes. It was actually, well…safe. In my entire visit I only saw one gun and that was the guard at the watch post.

No comments:

Turkwell River, Kenya

Turkwell River, Kenya
The beauty is endless