Monday, January 11, 2010

Patriot's Diary # 26: Kenyan New Years


In Luo instead of the usual happy New Year, we corrupt it by saying ‘Hapi ni e iya’ (The Lord’s spirit / joy is within me) I miss that. It has been quite some time since I visited my rural home. You see in Kenya most people go to the rural homes, what we fondly terms as Shaggs, (corrupted from the Kikuyu word Gichagi which means the same thing) for Christmas.

Then in the New Year the masses head back to major cities and towns between the 27th and 28th in time for the New Year parties that litter the cities and towns. The Church overnight prayers, the thumping and head banging discos, potential house parties to source out a New Year’s love match. Whatever you choose, wherever you are; Nairobi, Mombasa, Kisumu, Nakuru, Eldoret or even in Kilgoris town, there is a party to let loose and countdown to the New Year.

For the first time, in years I was able to stay up past 1 am in the morning with Friends, though I was cranky and a party pooper by 4 am. I am ashamed to admit though that I was in the bathroom while my friends were counting down to the New Year. It was great, we had some white wine and toasted to a blessed, and God directed and successful year. A new Hope, a new dawn, I know so cliché.

So to the point. Why in the world a Kenyan New years rather than Times Square in New York or risk being trampled on at Trafalgar square jubilations?! I don’t know really. All I know is it just feels great to waltz into the New Year around familiar faces who you know , love you and share your hopes and dreams. Not just any run off the mill person but a group of people who genuinely care for you and will be there.

And other than that; beat all the boys at Pictionary (it’s a board game version of charades; instead of actions you use pictures to guess words). And Ashley and Julie said…. ‘IN YOUR FACE’, Mwenda, Oscar and Gerren! And we didn’t just beat them once, but twice, wait if I count the year before last that makes it four times in a row. Oh! The sweet taste of victory on New Years! Ha! I couldn’t resist.

Other than whipping the guys at a game, what makes Kenya’s New Years so special, well it’s another chance. I generally believe in second chances. And for me it isn’t just a second chance for me to get it right in my life. But a second chance for my country to redeem itself, care for its people and take a step closer to prosperity, sustainability and great health! It doesn’t really have to be something deep and profound. A Kenyan new year is precisely that; it is a new year for Kenyans. And I am one of them. That’s why I love it here and I am proud to be Kenyan!

No comments:

Turkwell River, Kenya

Turkwell River, Kenya
The beauty is endless