Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Patriot's Diary # 38: Signs in Kenya

I think Kenyan signs are the best; it’s sheer comic relief. My friend told me that he came across a salon called’ Bad Hairdo’. I laughed so hard. I am not quite sure whether the owner knew what that meant, or if it was meant to be some sort of joke. That was probably up until they realized that they weren’t making enough money so they changed the name of the salon to ‘Wonder touch salon’. Another really common sign is , ‘usikojoe hapa’ (do not urinate here).

It’s hard to miss that sign in any urban area in Kenya and the most hilarious and repulsive thing is that the individuals who shouldn’t be peeing still stand right next to the sign and urinate on the sign (the ultimate sign of defiance…not!) . What more can you say about signs, other than point, stare and laugh at them! I won’t take too much time telling you about the signs I’ll let you see them for yourself! Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I laughed. For photo 1, I'll say. "English did come by ship.' Photo 2 shows uncommon courtesy. Thinks about how many times you've been in downtown Nairobi, pressed and faced off with a guard at say Java about using their toilet. Photo 3 is obviously the work of someone who wants to make us all happy.

Turkwell River, Kenya

Turkwell River, Kenya
The beauty is endless