Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Patriot's Diary # 2 : An Embrace of Nature

Today I am not quite sure what to write about. I just realized today how obsessed we are in this country with what next could be wrong, to the point I have been struggling to see the good, but I think I have something.


What else I love about my country; it is so green and beautiful, from the hills to the tea and coffee plantations to the forests. The fact that these places exist comforts me. Just being able to know that I can leave this concrete jungle on occasion to just relax and suck in the purity and innocence of nature.





The nature of my country is vast and I am yet to see it all. I know it sounds like a tourist booster campaign but it isn’t. I can remember driving through Lake Nakuru National Park with friends and at some point three of us got out of the car to take a photo, in the foreground of course, ‘with’ rhinos. I wasn’t scared it was just breath taking. That was until a tour van drove up and the driver broke the spell of nature and reminded us that we were at risk and we bolted back into the car.




Watching giraffes, the flamingoes by the lake; it was pungent experience that one, flamingos stink. Water buffaloes with their young, the sound of birds chirping and tweeting, the vines and undergrowth wrapped around huge tree trunks, Acacia trees lined up on the highway, as if saluting us and welcoming us on the enchanting experience ahead; Amazing!
The freshness of the air in my rural home, I can smell it now. I think my lungs rejoice every time I arrive there. The cows, chicken, the family dog, not a pet; a watch dog, but adorable nonetheless, with the occasional late night leopard in the mango trees nearby, hoping to devour our watchdog.




The fresh mangoes, guavas and jackfruits are the perfect easy to make dessert or snack. I can happily pluck them from the tree, wash and eat them there and then. Sugarcane galore, paw paws, sweet banana and if my Aunt is around I get fresh groundnuts from her farm. It’s the little things that we take for granted that bring the pleasures of life.




And oh, the sunrise; stupendous, the warm kiss as it peeps and gradually yields a warm embrace of its rays on our faces every morning, it’s spell binding.




Nature isn’t just about going away; it’s a magical experience that we live through every day when we choose to open our senses to its soothing embrace. I am glad that I can experience it in Kenya.

2 comments:

Fit and Alive said...

I feel u chic! The beauty makes us lift up our heads and leave this world of necessary activity and for a moment we are reminded what life REALLY is about... I like this post. N I want some groundnuts from ua Aunt's :-)

Odengo said...

I sure will get you the groundnuts when i see my Aunt next! We are embraced by beauty everyday! We just need to open ourselves to experience it!If you have any great things that make you proud to be a Patriot feel free to let me know and i'll post them!

Turkwell River, Kenya

Turkwell River, Kenya
The beauty is endless