Thursday, August 27, 2009

Patriot's diary #3 : I speak the Language of Patriots


I love my country because of the language! From the sophisticated English accents to the English dialects birthed from mother tongue interference to the recreation of new words, phrases and sayings! It’s just musical. Why say Déjà vu when I can say Day-ja-vu?





The ‘Kenyanisation’ of words like ‘Kiria’, ‘Mos Mos’, ‘Nairobi’ from cultural languages of Kikuyu, Luo and Maasai respectively. Colloquial Swahili better known as Sheng is an amazing language and is the heart of Kenyan comedy with the famous ‘Mchongwanos’ (Making a ‘Mickey’ out of people and situations). They are what get me through the day. I laugh so hard and loud to tears. It is such a purifying feeling, laughing from your gut, it makes you feel like all the dirt, filth and disappointment has gone away! It’s as if with every laugh, a new chapter is opened. Nothing beats that gut wrenching, tear jerking burst of laughter caused by Mchongwanos.


Mother tongue is the heart of it all, you have got to love the musical sound of Kikamba, the wild and loud sound of Kisii and Luhya, the nasal yet musical sound of Meru. The spot on Kikuyu, flashy Luo, the romanticizing Maasai, I love it! I love them all, every language has a delivery unique in itself and yet so taking! I can sit and listen to it all, The Swahili accent from the coast is ecstasy; smooth, easy and soulful, I’m taken!


Who would ever think simple speech would be some beautiful? It’s the beauty of each word that flows from the bellies of culture. It’s like a lapping wave on a sandy beach inching back and forth on your toes as you cast your eyes on the never ending sea of culture, blue and limitless. It soaks you with so much love and authenticity nothing can break you. Language is love, it is purpose, it is life.



The next time I walk around after a long day at work, I’ll choose to listen to the rhythm of the eclectic and unique sound of language. What you say won’t break me, because what I hear is musical and ingenious! I am proud to be Kenyan, because the languages that I speak and hear are dynamic and beautiful like the people who speak it!

No comments:

Turkwell River, Kenya

Turkwell River, Kenya
The beauty is endless