Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Patriot's Diary # 21: It's been a laugh to freedom

I have finally hit the half way mark in finding out the 40 things that I love about being Kenyan. But to be honest, I have been stuck, I have allowed myself to take in so much negativity to the point that I felt like giving up! I even told a friend of mine that I regret setting the bar at 40, I could have done 10! But here I am working on the 21st reason why I love my country.

I was thinking to myself, wait! I have been speaking my mind that must be a good thing after all. I can talk on the streets of Nairobi or any other parts of my country and speak my mind about things that I detest. Maybe if I said it as part of a mob, picketing on a road side, that dynamic might involve tear gas and a few strokes. But the fact that I can hold a microphone to my mouth and raise an opinion on radio or TV is progress on the freedom of speech front.

Freedom of speech has come a long way in this country. I am glad we are at a place where I can speak up against things that I detest in a public place, without worrying about a police informant or CID official arresting me and taking me to a torture chamber. I think Kenyan Comedy has played a role in this. In the late 90’s a trio; Walter Mong’are aka Nyambane, John Kiarie aka KJ and Tony Njuguna, by the name of Redykyulass performed sketches of political satire. They were the first people to publicly dress up, mock and imitate the president and his cronies in his presence. And they would actually leave the retired president Moi laughing his guts out! Now that is progress. And that was the beginning!

Comedy based on politics and imitating Politicians was a big hit! The Redykyulass crew made room for other upcoming artists to also follow suite in this genre of comedy. Then it evolved into ethnic satire that is still rib tickling today! Imitating the accents and the hilarious tendencies that each ethnic groups have!

The current Kenyan King of comedy, Dan Ndambuki aka Churchill is quite a piece of work! He has brought Kenyan Comedy to the next level of successful comedy; making the ‘Mickey’ out of a situation! He does it and does it well. He always keeps you at the edge of your seat when he is on radio masked as a rural teacher admonishing his ignorant audience. He is multifaceted; able to create different interacting characters on air, whether it’s a tea lady or the teacher or just a regular guy on the street! He connects so well with Kenyans of all ages, ethnic backgrounds and economic status.

They say laughter is the music of the soul. I believe that, because in the heat of harsh and unforgiving economic, social and political situation, that we are in as a country, what keeps people sane and ready to work even when they may not enjoy it is the sound of Mwalimu (Swahili for Teacher) King’ang’I in the morning.

I never realized how popular Dan really was, until one day I was in the chemist. The TV was airing the upcoming episodes of Dan’s TV show; Churchill live. One gentleman, who looked like he was in his late forties exclaimed in disappointment; he thought he had missed an episode. When I told him it was airing the following day, the look of relief and child like excitement said it all.

What I love about Kenyan Comedy is the fact that it is such a uniting tool. We laugh to the point of tears together. Because like any other type of comedy, you can only get the punch lines, insinuations, quips and gestures if you understand the culture. And that laughter is something to look forward to in the matatu or your car on your way to work in the morning at six o’clock in the morning. It’s an escape, a reassurance and a gut wrenching booster for your day! Laughter is Kenya’s new driving force.

1 comment:

Fit and Alive said...

Rose, I love the photos on this article. Very beautiful, and relevant.

Turkwell River, Kenya

Turkwell River, Kenya
The beauty is endless